Tuesday 26 August 2014

Correction; Excerpt

That last post was a bit dire, and I just wanted to point out I'm not really that down. Thought I might post one of my favourite scenes from Elemental that probably won't get into the final cut. At least not how it is. For reference, they're almost in the shadow of a burning tower.

Keruni looked at Seric. “What I want to know is how you know so much about this.”
“Because...” Seric hesitated, then the words seem to pour out of him. “I was there when he was killed.”
Keruni's eyebrows shot up. “What were you doing there?” She asked in surprise.
Seric scratched at his cheek with one finger, then blushed. “Trying to steal a fragment of philosopher's stone for someone.”
Keruni reddened slightly, then touched his arm. “I never did thank you.” She frowned. “Actually that's not accurate, you never told me! And then you wrote yourself out of my life.” She punched his arm lightly.
“There was never any point.” Seric said quietly. “I failed. You didn't need to see me to know.”
Keruni shook her head. “You know I wouldn't have blamed you. It was a lonely time, I could have used a friend.”
“You never lacked friends.” Seric said reproachfully. “Besides, you knew where I was.”
“And so we went around and around, like gladiators in the sand. You felt guilty all this time and I never knew why you left.” Keruni's voice was incredulous, then it softened. “Maybe it's time to change that.” She murmured. “Your hair has come undone again, do you have that ring I gave you for it?” She asked gently, running her fingers through his tangled and singed locks.
“Is this really the time, Ker? This isn't exactly the most pleasant of places, at least not any more.” Seric fingered the beaten silver ring anxiously.
“All the better, I feel like it could use some new memories, and the best time to start is when the wounds are fresh.” Keruni gazed into his eyes, her own seeming as clear and stark as the night. “If you don't want me to do this, don't give it to me.” She said simply.
For a moment Keruni thought he wouldn't, as his hand twitched toward his pocket and his eyes lowered. “I'm more broken than you know.” Seric told her hesitantly.
“But not so different, I think.” Keruni's face took on a luminous cast as she smiled.
Slowly Seric's hand came up and he placed the ring against her awaiting palm. “I just wanted you to know, there are things I haven't told you.”
“Tell me when they become important.” Keruni whispered, as she lifted her arms up to his hair and, with infinite tenderness, pulled the dark strands into a ponytail. “Tell me anything you want.” She breathed as her lips met his in a deep kiss that somehow seemed hungry. Seric's mind spun as a lifetime of restrained emotion flowed out of him at once and his arms encircled Keruni as much to hold her close as to hold him up, as he fervently returned the kiss.
It felt as though the kiss lasted forever, but eventually it was over and with a little sigh Keruni let him go. “I could get used to that.” She told him with a mischievous smile.
“I hope I never do.” Seric said shakily.
Keruni clapped him on the chest. “You're not supposed to be charming right now, Sair, you're supposed to be breathless and grateful.”
“Oh I am.” He murmured, a glint coming into his eyes. “But you're not nearly as breathless as I want you.” Seric tightened his arms around her possessively as he leant in to kiss her passionately. This time, the world didn't spin, it exploded.
“You're good at this.” Keruni told him with a smile as they caught their breath. “You must have had lots of practice.”
Seric shook his head. “Not really, for some reason I was never that interested.” He looked away embarrassedly then mumbled something.
“I didn't quite hear that.” Keruni said, tilting her head.
“I said, I never wanted to kiss anyone else.” Seric huffed, going red-faced.
“I did!” Keruni laughed as she ran a finger up his chest, then she sighed. “But not any more.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ahoy Thar Shipmaet! We be sailin' t3h failboat seas!